I have been wanting a Lie-Nielsen dowel plate for some time now. Though I do not use a lot of dowels, it is nice to be able to make them out of the hardwood that one has on hand.
I decided to make a box for the dowel plate out of some mahogany and a hickory scraps. After cutting the pieces to size, the two mating faces that will be glued together were planed for tight fit.
After being glued together, I moved onto marking out the mortise that would need to be cut in order to flush-mount the plate. I removed most of the waste with a large forstner bit. I used a chisel and a router plane to clean up the rest of the mortise.
I allowed a liberal amount of Waterlox to soak into the wood prior to wiping off the excess. The finish will dry overnight. Tomorrow, I will attack the plate and finish the piece with a coat of wax.