After letting the coat of Waterlox cure overnight, I attached the dowel plate and applied some wax. The box will make it a lot easier to position over a dog hole or clamp in a vice when pounding through dowels - and it looks decent to boot!
I have been wanting a Lie-Nielsen dowel plate for some time now. Though I do not use a lot of dowels, it is nice to be able to make them out of the hardwood that one has on hand.
I decided to make a box for the dowel plate out of some mahogany and a hickory scraps. After cutting the pieces to size, the two mating faces that will be glued together were planed for tight fit.
After being glued together, I moved onto marking out the mortise that would need to be cut in order to flush-mount the plate. I removed most of the waste with a large forstner bit. I used a chisel and a router plane to clean up the rest of the mortise.
I allowed a liberal amount of Waterlox to soak into the wood prior to wiping off the excess. The finish will dry overnight. Tomorrow, I will attack the plate and finish the piece with a coat of wax.
There is a special place in the otherwise questionable internet world, that place is www.wwodnet.net - namely the "Secret Santa" gift exchange. I have participated in the Secret Santa exchange for a few years now and I am ALWAYS astounded by the thoughtfulness and generosity of the Woodnet members. This year is no exception! My SS combined my love of woodworking with my obsession with coffee! Thank you very much SS!
I purchased a Starrett scraper from a gentlemen on www.woodnet.net a short time ago. It was in decent shape, but saw a lot of use. Most of the finish on the handle was gone. I decided to stain it back to its original color and apply a bit of finish to protect the wood. After come "chardonnay" stain and a couple coats of lacquer, this is the end result.